21 Diet Secrets I Know In My 40's I Wish I Knew In My 20'sMay 08, 2023
The High Performance Journal - May 9th 2023
There are some days I wish I could go back.
I made many mistakes and learned so much in the past 20+ years of being in the fitness industry. If I could go back and slap my 23-year-old self into a better path I would.
As they say, "Hindsight is 20/20".
So instead of wishing for a time machine I want to relay to you what I wish I knew when I was younger.
My hope is that, regardless of your age, you use this to improve what you’re doing with your nutrition.
21 Diet Secrets I Know In My 40's I Wish I Knew In My 20's
1. Stop drinking alcohol or at the very least limit it to a great extent. You're using it to escape stress when it's bringing more on. It's empty calories, bad for your health, increases stress & anxiety, and gives you the munchies.
2. Stop eating at least 3-5 hours before sleeping. This helps you sleep deeper and aids your body in digestion.
3. Don't eat until you feel stuffed. Eat until you're at a fullness level of 8 out of 10. This helps you keep energetic after a meal and can assist in keeping lean.
4. Put your body on a regular schedule of meals. The best way is to eat your final meal 3 to 5 hours before you sleep. Then have your 2nd meal 3 to 5 hours before that. Then your first meal 3 to 5 hours before that. This is called eating to your Circadian Rhythm and it trains your hunger.
5. Drink your food. This means to chew your food so much until it becomes liquid. This helps you become fuller & save energy used for digestion.
6. Treat your diet as a ratio, instead of an event. A good ratio is to get 80% of your calories from whole unprocessed nutrient-dense sources and get the other 20% from whatever you want.
7. Drink a glass of water before & after your meals. This helps you feel fuller and more satisfied reducing your chances of eating afterwards.
8. Do not drink water with a meal because doing so encourages you to eat faster.
9. Need to lower your LDL cholesterol but don’t like the idea of taking statins? Take psyllium husk. It's been shown to reduce LDL cholesterol by up to 25%. Here's a brand I recommend.
10. A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before a meal can contribute to improving your blood glucose control.
11. In the industrial age the rule was to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. This has been reversed in modern times. Eat a light meal to keep focus high. Eat a medium-sized lunch to avoid afternoon lulls. Eat a bigger dinner to induce sleepiness.
12. Drink a protein shake before a meal to decrease hunger and increase fullness while giving you some extra muscle-building protein.
13. Stop distracting yourself when eating. This makes you ignore your signals for satiety and digestion. It also gives your brain 2x the pleasure signals, which means twice the dopamine released from one meal.
14. For fat loss, it's always a good idea to go to bed a little hungry.
15. Keep some raw veggies around you just in case you need to snack. If you need to eat raw veggies, it is probably a sign you're hungry.
16. Drink sparkling water throughout the day. It keeps you hydrated while also reducing hunger and sugar cravings.
17. Use smaller plates when eating meals. People who eat from smaller dishes have reported greater satiety, and as a result, lower caloric intake.
18. Chew gum after meals. Doing this can boost satiety & help reduce snacking and cravings in the afternoon.
19. Start your day with a shake with protein, creatine, greens powder & psyllium husk to help build muscle, regulate hunger & have steady energy levels.
20. Take a walk with your family after a meal to improve digestion and have a ritual to do together.
21. Grocery stores have a health food aisle full of fake foods. The real healthy food can be found on the outer edges of your grocery store in the meats and veggies section.
The best way to go about this list is to print it and to choose the ones that relate to your situation.
As Bruce Lee famously said,
"Absorb what is useful. Reject what is useless"
You've now learned in 3 minutes what it's taken me 20 years. My hope is that you put this to good use to create the lean & energetic body you deserve to be in.
Whenever you’re ready, there are 2 ways I can help you:
1. Are you an entrepreneur who wants to get lean, boost energy and get in your best shape in 2023?
Apply for private one on one coaching here.
2. If you’re still looking for to get lean, I’d recommend starting with an affordable course:
→ The Lean Body 90 System: Transform your body with the Lean Body 90 system. This comprehensive course will teach you the system I use get my clients lean & energetic in 90 days in only 90 minutes a week. Join 1000+ students here.